Sunday, April 8, 2012

You Are A Tall Glass Of Water

For my roommate's birthday, we decided to go out to eat. Our destination: Cranky Chucky's. Actually the full restaurant name is King Dave and Cranky Chucky's. We thought it would be like-- a delicious hole in the wall restaurant, given the outside appearance and the name. One that served greasy burgers and thick-cut fries.

We walked in to a place with natural stone rock work, nice wooden tables covered with dark blue linen table cloths, cloth napkins, and foot-tall water glasses made of real glass. The menus weren't covered in plastic and didn't have pictures of the food on them.

I ordered a dijoinaisse stuffed burger, cooked from ground steak, to medium-well. It was served on a toasted sourdough bun-without ketchup. We order a plate of nachos-- made of homemade cut chips, a cheesy peppercorn sauce, corn, tomatoes, and fresh-grilled pineapple. In short, the food was phenomenal.

If the food wasn't enough, the service was better. Dave served us-- as in the Dave from the restaurant title. His manner was casual and teasing. We told him we had a birthday-girl at the table, and he gave ample congratulations. Our water glasses were always more than half full, he gave us an extra-plate of bread, and did not throw to-go boxes at us, but cleared our left-overs and handed us the boxes with our checks. Because I offered to pay for the nachos, my check was two-dollars less (as a best friend bonus, he said), and because it was Kristyn's birthday, she only paid half price for her dinner.

To top it off, he brought us a delicious molten brownie, because of the birthday, with berry-flavored ice-cream and fresh strawberries. It was the most delicious brownie I ever ate in my life.

Suffice it to say, I think I found a new favorite place to eat.

We left a large tip.


2 comments:

  1. I've eaten here to and I loved it! I've read negative reviews too and I've come to the conclusion the difference is if you have a sense of humor and if your palette can handle food better than Applebee's than you're going to like it. Maybe I'll see you there sometime.

    P.s. your blog title a Robert Frost reference?

    ReplyDelete