Saturday, December 29, 2012

Figgy Pudding

I have been reading a lot of Calvin and Hobbes lately.

Yeah. So he's simultaneously brilliant and ignorant. Unintelligent meets intelligent. It was about halfway through my third comic book when I realized that because Hobbes is only a stuffed animal, everything Hobbes says or does must also come out of Calvin's brain. Another sign of brilliance-- and perhaps instability.

But then Calvin does want a heat seeking ballistic missile for christmas-- and at six years old he knows what that is and what it does. He knows how to order pizza, knows how to comment on modern art, and yet still doesn't know the answer to 12 + 5.

And why am I commenting on this? Because I have never had the experience of feeling both smarter and stupider than a character.

What are my thoughts on Calvin and Hobbes?




No comments:

Post a Comment