Friday, August 22, 2014

Eat To Live Week 1: Going Nutritarian

So, when I started Dr. Fuhrman's Eat To Live lifestyle, I scoured the internet daily for success stories to keep me motivated. I've decided I will post weekly as my health improves to help motivate other's to change.

What is it?

Well, it's a 90% vegetarian diet, where you eat at least of pound of fresh veggies, a pound of cooked veggies, and a cup of lentils or beans daily, with four (or more) servings of fruit. You can also have one serving of grains or starchy veggies like corn or potatoes.

The point is to eat the most nutrient dense foods on the planet to ensure having good health. I like to focus on the wide variety of things I can eat, than focusing on the things I can't, which are:

  • salt
  • sugar (in any form)
  • oils (avocado is fine)
  • refined flours, white pasta, bread
  • anything processed
  • dairy
  • most meats
What Happened This Week

I read that the first few days were the hardest, but they weren't for me. I felt so good to finally be eating in the best way possible that I was on this "Go Me!" high for a long time (read: few days).

About four days in, I got stressed out, and felt the familiar pull toward foods that were comforting. I wanted breads-- donuts, garlic toast, homemade rolls. I was surprised, because I thought my main craving would be sugar.

I didn't ADD salt to my dishes, but I also didn't follow the low sodium requirements as stringently because flavor and because I workout daily and have no heart problems so I am not super worried about my sodium being too high.

The foods I cheated with:

  1. I would eat an egg on the days I lifted weights.
  2. I ate a cup of corn chex one day as a starch.
  3. We went to dinner at a friend's house, and she served chicken enchiladas, salad, and homemade ice-cream for dessert. I just had a modest portion of everything, because I don't want to be one of those people who is rude about those things, especially when others go to such an effort to cook for me.
The Results:

Starting Weight: 160.4
Week 1 End Weight: 156.6

I sleep deeper at night, I have more energy, and my sugar cravings are gone. Also, my face has cleared up a little bit.

I enjoy my vegetables, but my favorite thing that I ate this week was a ripe peach. It was candy.

I would encourage anyone to try ETL, and to read the book. It's already making a difference.
See you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment