Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Post Post Post Germany Post

I know I know. Half of my blog is about Germany. But I just got a rather large wave of nostalgia yesterday, and again today.

Yes, I know it may seem slightly strange to be nostalgic over an experience that was not that long ago, and didn't last that long.

However, because Germany gave so much me, I think I owe my last post of the year to it.

German people drive you crazy. They are friendly, in a "mind your own business" sort of way. They are like bears, or moose, or bees. You don't bother them, they won't bother you. Of course, as like here, there are the people who are naturally rude, or loud, or angry for no good reason. But, as a whole-- we Americans like to get up into each other's space.

Which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing.

I think spilling your life story to your hairdresser is more an American thing. I know this, sort of, because my hausfrau (sort of like my... homestay home owner lady) was so reserved. She never bothered me, but she would invite me to drink tea with her sometimes. She made dinner for me the first day I was there, and she worried that I was sad, homesick, or not getting enough to eat. But she never told me these things. Every day, she would knock on my door, peep her head in, and say in her halted English, "Julie? Are you okay? Did you have a good day?"

And I said, "Yes, I am fine." And she would smile and nod and then close the door and watch TV in the other room.

She was kind. But I never, not once, felt the need to talk to her about my family, my school, my job, my personal problems or anything.

And yet, as soon as I get back home, I drank in the more-personal culture like a withered houseplant.

I honestly can't decide which I like better.

I like feeling comfortable with others and trusting them with "non-surface level" communications. But I also really like that it wasn't an expectation in Germany to share personal experiences and backgrounds. I guess you feel more like you can bring the future to the table, and you can move on from things faster. At the same time, everything progresses slower: relationships, friendships, major life decisions, etc. I think that's why Germans have dogs. Dogs are not very personal in the personal area of life.

I think its a less dramatic and more simple way of dealing with people.

Without spontaneity. And colors a little (a lot) dulled down.

No comments:

Post a Comment