Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Science of ... Something

Uncertainty: the state of being hesitant, ambivalence.

I'm uncertain about a lot of things. I'm uncertain about why people like sprouts (as in those cabbage things that taste worse than cabbage). I'm uncertain about why winter exists, when it could be warm and summer all the time. I'm uncertain over fake houseplants, cats (in all shapes and sizes), veggie burgers and white walls.

Uncertainty can be very useful.

But sometimes, I just wish it would go away and leave with a great feeling of knowing. Not hesitant. Not ambivalent. Certain.

I think uncertainty is the greatest cause of fear. We fear jumping from buildings because we are uncertain if we will live. We fear the future because we are uncertain what will occur. We fear other people because we are uncertain if they are people we shouldn't fear.

Uncertainty causes us to back out, give up, forget, or procrastinate. Uncertainty, therefore, feeds uncertainty until it grows into something bigger... disuncertainty?



No comments:

Post a Comment