Tuesday, May 1, 2012

By Popular Demand (Part 2)

This last week I took a trip to Iowa. My dearest fellow, Clark, grew up there. It was long (but very beautiful) train ride there. After some naps, some unpacking, eating a few real meals, and finally meeting his family, Clark and I (at the suggestion of his mom) went out to a small, rural lake about five minutes drive from their home. Clark was planning on renting a boat, but the boat place was closed, so we decided to walk through this gorgeous nature trail that eventually goes to a bench overlooking the lake and the setting sun. It was a clear day, the setting sun was reflected in the water, and there were birds and ducks and little ripples of water. We chatted and teased, but eventually I was just quiet. Clark knows that I love being outside and that I love beautiful things. This was such a beautiful and peaceful place, and I felt so happy just sitting there next to him, watching the world that God had made. Clark leaned over to whisper in my ear, "So, are you sure about this?" 

"Yes," I said.

And so he knelt down and took out a small green box. The ring belonged to his grandmother, and either she, or her husband, had excellent taste, because it is beautiful. Elegant. Elaborate and simple at the same time. It was lovely, and that was what I said first. "It's so pretty!" I couldn't stop looking at it. And so he put it on, and I said yes, and it was the best story ever, and perfect for me. Clark knows me so well. 

That is his story. Part three will be the other story, the one slightly less romantic, but just as important to me as this moment was. 





No comments:

Post a Comment