Tuesday, May 8, 2012

By Popular Demand (Part 3)

Okay... okay. So I know that is really like Lion Kind 1 1/2,because it belongs smack-dab in the middle of number one and two. But we were engaged before the ring. And this story, like I said, is very special to me, mostly because Clark is special to me, and I love him for every moment of decision and thought he dedicated to my happiness.

We had been talking about marriage for a couple weeks-- so much so that we thought it would be best if we told our parents what we were up to. However, shortly after that email home, a period of trial ensued where came the timeless questions that all fall under the larger question of: "Is this really the right thing to do?"

Fortunately, after a period of time, prayer, and counsel, that trial moved on and left us both sure of our own feelings. Meanwhile, I had told my mom to stop plans for the wedding, because we didn't want to power ahead without the definite "Okay." Finally, on a Monday evening, I was able to send an email saying that yes, we were finally ready to move forward again, and that a proposal would follow shortly. My mom emailed back, asking, "Can I finally tell people? One can only keep this under her hat for so long."

I looked at Clark, with a silly grin on my face. "I dunno, Clark," I said, "Can she?"
And he looked at me and said, "Just give me like... a week and a half..."
And I said, "A week and a half!?" (I know, patience has never been a strongly developed attribute in my life).
And then I said, "Well, I have to answer the email, so either it is yes, or no. I don't mind either way."
And he said, "Julie, when people get engaged, and find out, they're gonna say, "Tell me the story!" and we need a good story. Not... no story."
I said I didn't care.
He retreated to the back hallway of his apartment.
He came out.
He flopped on the sofa beside me like fish and looked into my face and said, with all the delicacy  and tact of say... a fish out of water, "Wanna get married?"
To which I said, "That is not how you ask!"
And he said, "What do you want me to do?"
"Get down on your knee!"
He sighed. A huge, heavy (somewhat martyred) sigh, and knelt down in front. He said my full name. And he asked me to marry him.

And I burst out laughing. He just looked so put upon and cute sitting down there. I composed myself and answered yes, of course I would.

He then told me that the real story would be much better, and very romantic, and if people wanted to know the story, that is the one I would tell.

I like this one too.
And I love Clark, regardless of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment