Sunday, May 1, 2011

welcome home... to Canada?

I have to say that I have always been proud to be Canadian. I think most people are proud of their countries, and I really do think this one is a great one-- and not just because of the bacon or the maple syrup or even both of those eaten together. I grew up here.

So why, now, for the very first time in my life, do I feel like I left home to come here? It is a sad thing indeed when Provo Utah becomes so special to me that I am angry when I can't find coconut m&m's and when I look out the window and all the snow hasn't even melted yet.

Canada... have I betrayed you? Could I really have fallen in love with something else... the bigger, flashier, somewhat more proud, aggressive, arrogant and ignorant older sister who features bad chocolate and poor produce and heart disease?

I feel now, so very torn. I have never experienced this before. Always Canada has represented peace for me. And love. And joy. And kinder surprises. And good yogurt.

But America holds many people that I love. So, as I sit in Canada, my homeland, I have decided that I really want to be with you, people that I love. And most of you happen to live in America. Darn you all, for making the home for my heart move somewhere else.

So... for all you people, American loves of mine, I hope you feel honoured. I have left Canada for you.

1 comment:

  1. This American boy misses home... The girl he loves has taken the home of his heart with her to the foreign land of Canada.
    Who would have thought that we could both be homes for each other's heart?

    ReplyDelete