Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Friend Wanted

I was talking to my mom on the phone about how weird it is to be starting this new year from scratch. New apartment. New roommates. New ward. New area of Provo. New classes. New beginning. NEW. It's a weird word.

But the hardest part was the part that I call "the people change". All of the people I love, my people, for the most part, are no longer part of my BYU experience. Not only do I have very few people whom I can call to just hang out, but also very few people whom I feel comfortable talking to at all-- those people, who, when I am with them, I can be nobody other than myself. Where I can express my love for scrabble without fear of appearing lame or nerdy, or admit that sometimes, when I am alone, I watch little house on the prairie or the scarlet pimpernel on youtube, without ever feeling less cool or anything else. I have lost the majority of the people with who I feel confident.

Woah.

And so, with tears streaming down my face, I explained this dilemma. And people always assume that I want someone to date, or some significant other, or something. Not the case. I just want a friend. A good friend. Who will play scrabble with me, or teach me how to lift weights at the gym without intimidating me.

The solution?

Go to the buy and sell board at the WILK and post this:

FRIEND WANTED

Must be willing to play scrabble and do other random silly things. Must not fear the outdoors.

Meals will sometimes be provided for friends.

Please call.



Well. I thought about it.
Maybe next week....





Go

1 comment:

  1. Do it, Julie! It would be the best thing up there! I'd answer it, but I stink at scrabble. You had one of the toughest rows to hoe this summer and you became the heart and soul of the group. You'll make it and you will find your people. Good luck to you, and when you want to make brownies with Maddie, the kitchen is open to you!
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete