Saturday, October 29, 2011

Scary Movies... Scary Life

I have never really had friends who enjoy scary movies. Not at all.

I don't enjoy them. But somehow, people still want to talk me out of my very strong dislike of horror, my very strong aversion to walking dead, demons, hauntings, paranormal activity.... all of it. It's like I have told them that I don't like brownies, or unicorns, or Lucky Charms cereal (which, by the by, is nasty... although I have nothing against the irish).

The first reaction is a reassurance that this move isn't THAT scary. To me, that means about half of it will be spent with a blanket over my head, or with my fingers in my ears.

The second reassurance (especially from guys) is that if I'm scared, I can always rely on them for support and comfort. To me, that means that I need a whole batch of girls with whom I feel comfortable cuddling up to-- because holding onto a guy when I'm scared is a little too Hollywood for me (unless I am dating said guy).

The third reassurance is that nothing in this movie is real. I know that. But to me, the fear isn't in the idea that zombies might come and attack me at night, or that a serial killer is right outside my window with a ten inch knife. The fear is knowing the inherent ungodliness of it. I am not on a vendetta to say that all people who watch scary movies are somehow bad. Not at all. But I do know how I feel when I am watching a blind girl running from a man trying to kill her, or when children are the objects of evil spirits. I know it's not real. But I also known it's not right. At least not right for me.

So, scary movies, consider this as me, signing off. For good.

No comments:

Post a Comment